As its name implies, olive oil is extracted from olives, a fruit rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids. This healthy fatty acid is also well known for contributing to an increased life span.
If you are anything like me, you will know about the benefits of olive oil in beauty applications. This oil is a popular emulsifying agent added to many commercial beauty products, creams, shampoos and lotions. However, many of these products contain chemicals to prolong their shelf life. This can have drying or damaging effects on your precious skin.
There is a really great alternative to expensive, commercially produced beauty products: You can use this wonderful oil all by itself, straight out of your kitchen cupboard. Isn’t that wonderful? Squalene in olive oil tightens skin and increases elasticity for a rejuvenated glow. Sophia Loren swears by it.
8 Benefits of Olive Oil
- Nourishes and moisturizes dry skin
- Balances your natural skin oils
- Purges skin of dead cells and impurities
- Apply to scalp as a hot oil treatment to moisturize your hair and scalp
- Olive oil is loaded with natural antioxidants to prevent cell degeneration of skin
- Exfoliant: Mix olive oil with a bit of sugar or salt. Apply to skin and massage before rinsing
- Foot scrub: Mix equal parts of olive oil and honey. Soak in warm water. Your feet will love it
- Sunless tan: Mix equal parts of self-tanner and olive oil for a streak free tan without the sun
Olive oil is even used in medicine due to its many health benefits. The number of ways in which you can use this natural product is only limited by your imagination. If you think of any other ways to use it, we would love to hear your additional tips.