While visible signs of aging are inevitable, there is much that can be done to minimize their
effects on our skin. There are two types of aging: Internal aging which is due to collagen production decline that starts to take place in our 30’s, and slows down progressively as we age. Collagen is what gives young skin its “bounce” and firmness. With depletion of collagen our skin starts showing signs of aging in form of wrinkles, age spots and lax skin. Another type of aging is external aging often referred to as photoaging. It is caused by environmental conditions, lifestyle choices we make in our younger years, smoking and sun exposure.
Top Anti Aging Devices
In this article, I will be talking about the benefits of technology known as IPL or (Intense Pulsed Light). Both beauty-grade, (designed for home use), and medical-grade (designed for doctors and spas) IPLs are seen as medical devices. IPL technology is used for photorejuvenation. It is non invasive and produces a younger, healthier looking skin.
It uses high energy light waves to minimize or even eliminate signs of aging and wrinkles, all without any invasive procedures or down time. Your face will look great right after the procedure. In addition to great results immediately, they actually get even better over a period of few months, because of collagen boost. For maximum results, it is recommended to space five sessions 3 weeks apart. Once five sessions are completed, the procedure needs to be done only once a year to maintain the results.
How it is done
• Face is cleansed with witch hazel
• Cool gel is applied to treatment area, to cool the skin and lubricate hand piece
• Quick pulses of infra red light are guided over the treatment area
• The intense red and infra red light emitted breaks up skin discoloration and other imperfections revealing a more youthful and even toned skin
• The procedure can take anywhere between a few minutes to an hour, depending on the size of the area to be treated, and the condition of the skin
Benefits of IPL:
- Decreases appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Decreases age spots and other sun caused discoloration
- Increases production of collagen and elastin, for “bouncy” skin
- Increases circulation
- Increases oxygenation of cellular activity
- Detoxifies skin by increasing lymphatic system drainage
- Short recovery. After initial redness and swelling (like a sunburn) skin is recovers within a day
- Short recovery. After initial redness and swelling (like a sunburn) skin is recovers within hours
- It is not for every skin condition. Consult dermatologist
- Results vary between machines depending on the age of the machine, how much it is used and how many nano meters (most are 400-600). Lower nanos give lower grade results
- Multiple treatments are required for gradual improvement
IPL is an excellent non-invasive solution to improving damaged and aged skin, but care must be taken to protect skin from sun. The wonderful sun we all love is not good for our skin. So, take care of it.
Leave a reply