It is a well-known fact that hormones control all our body functions from the cradle to the grave. Hormone levels spike during puberty, and start declining between the ages of 35-40. Result of declining hormone levels? All the typical symptoms we associate with aging: Loss of hair and lean body mass, development of body flab, disease, joint problems and many other unpleasant side effects.
Hormone loss may be “natural”, but it is not healthy, and can, and should be, prevented. This biochemical imbalance should be addressed early on to avoid these unpleasant signs of aging. Are you wondering how that can be accomplished? The answer is very simple: anti-aging hormone therapy! Yes, I know, I know….unless you’ve been living under a rock, you have heard of HRT. The problem is there was so much negative reporting done, that most of us got scared. I think some researchers just like to scare us mere mortals! Keep this in mind: you can age and stay healthy! Negative consequences of aging don’t have to be a fact of life!
BHRT vs HRT
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT), as the name suggests, is a natural, non-chemical and non-drug way of taking care of your body, to keep it in optimal condition. They are made from soy or yams, and are identical match to your own hormones, and therefore your body utilizes most effectively. In other words, BHRT mimics your own hormone functions on molecular level. Here are some, but by no means all the benefits of BHRT:
• Estrogen and progesterone is the same in molecular structure to your own
• Reduced risk of breast and uterine cancers when estrogen is balanced with progesterone
• Eliminates hot flashes, night sweats, and vaginal dryness and thinning
• Increases libido
• Reduces the risk of osteoporosis, senility, Alzheimer’s, heart attacks and strokes
Anti-aging benefits of BHRT
• Greatly improves physical appearance of skin
• Encourages production of collagen formation, thus reducing skin wrinkling
• Improves bone strength
• It is FDA approved, and available in a pill, patch or cream from your doctor
• And guess what? BHRT significantly lowers death rate! How’s that for a great bonus?
Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) is a synthetic version of the hormones, and not compatible with your body, and can’t be utilized like BHRT can.
• You get pre-determined dosage, regardless whether it’s right for you or not
• Hormonal imbalances cause weight gain
• Causes hair loss
• Lack of testosterone causes flabby muscles
• Increased risk of heart attack, cancer, stroke
How to get started
Before you see your BHRT specialist, you will be asked to have a fasting blood test done, about 6 weeks prior to your visit. Yes, it takes that long for all the tests to be completed. This will indicate your exact hormone levels. One advantage of this test is that the doctor will prescribe the exactly right hormone therapy specifically tailored to your needs. Then the prescription is sent to a compounding pharmacy, where they mix your very personal prescription. Once you get started, you will be going back in about 8 weeks for a follow up, to determine current hormone levels.
It is very important to take prescribed dosage and not to take extra. Your body knows what it needs best. Also keep in mind that BHRT is not only for older women. Men can be short on testosterone, and younger people can prevent declining hormone levels in the first place.
In my opinion, the best way to rejuvenate your self is from the inside out, and it’s great to have the means of achieving that goal at our disposal.