There is another simple little compound that can help you achieve a more youthful complexion. And it’s, Vitamin C. It is water soluble vitamin that helps boost collagen production giving your skin elasticity and volume. Vitamin C is also an antioxidant that regenerates other antioxidants that fight those nasty, complexion ravaging free radicals.
A study has shown that using a topical version of Vitamin C, such as lotion, cream or serum is up to 20 times more powerful in improving your skin than taking a supplement orally. However, in order for these topical products to be most effective, look for Vitamin C concentration between 5% and 10%. Also check that it contains either ascorbic acid or L-ascorbic acid. Use it once a day and you should see good results in 6 to 8 weeks. Maximum benefits should be achieved after about 6 months, so patience is needed, as the results do not happen overnight.
Are you wondering how much Vitamin C to take orally for maximum benefits? Here are some dosages recommended by Mayo Clinic:
For breast and prostate cancer prevention, 500 miligrams daily
Antioxidant: 200-1000mg for 4 weeks to a year
Cold remedy: 200mg for 3-5 days
Fractures: 500mg for 50 days
Aging skin: cream containing 5%-10% Vitamin C. Lower concentration will have no rejuvenating effect
More Vitamin C facts
• Reduces wrinkles
• Strengthens immune system
• Aids in better absorption of Iron
• Daily intake for adults should be between 65-90 mg
• Available as a dietary supplement tablets, caplets and powder
Watch out for the following
• Vitamin C may contribute to kidney stones formation and nausea in dosage greater than 2000mg per day, so don’t overdo it
• Although very rare, there may be undesirable interactions between Vitamin C and tetracycline, Warfarin (blood thinner), aluminum-containing antacids, aspirin and acetaminophen
• Severe lack of Vitamin C in the body is known to cause scurvy, but nowadays, it’s extremely rare in developed world
Adding Vitamin C supplements is necessary, as our bodies do not produce Vitamin C. As you can see, this Vitamin is beneficial internally, as well as externally.
It helps with kidney and liver disease, and anemia. As a side note, 1 gram = 1000 milligrams. Now you have another tool to add to your anti-aging regimen. Remember that it takes a lot of components to make yourself be your best, youthful self.